Status of ATI video acceleration support?

Jean-Sébastien Pédron dumbbell at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 7 12:40:08 UTC 2013

On 07.05.2013 11:33, Sergey Jamy wrote:
> Who is this "Radeon X.Org"? I am know X.Org and radeon (AMD).

The complete quote would be "Radeon X.Org driver" and the real name of
the project is xf86-vidoe-ati:
    http://www.x.org/wiki/radeon
    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati/

This corresponds to the userland-side of the driver for AMD GPUs. Before
the 7.0.0 release, this project comprised two drivers:
    1. the UMS driver ("User Mode Setting", which we still use on
       FreeBSD).
    2. the KMS driver ("Kernel Mode Setting").

Starting from 7.0.0, only the KMS driver remains.

> AMD has official support for freebsd?

No.

> Why we can't have self Radeon X.Org? Whatever we patching their
> code for compatibility with our kernel and (maybe) stdlibC.

I'm not sure I understand your question. We should not have to patch
anything in xf86-video-ati (maybe some small changes), because the
userland part of the driver (libdrm, xf86-video-ati, Mesa) uses standard
syscalls and DRM-defined ioctls.

> Who prevents us from having your driver? Perhaps even the
> manufacturer will participate. For example, as was the case with
> ACPI.

AMD already employs several developers working on the opensource driver
(both the kernel part in Linux and the userland part in libdrm,
xf86-video-ati and Mesa). The kernel part is what we're working on for
FreeBSD. Other OSes are making progress too. The userland part should be
reusable by non-Linux systems anyway. If it's not the case, we'll work
with upstream developers for sure.

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron