Status of ATI video acceleration support?

Sergey Jamy jamy023 at gmail.com
Tue May 7 10:00:06 UTC 2013

2013/5/7 archibald <archibald at ethernull.org>

> Radeon X.org means that radeon driver that works with X.org. Essentially
> the radeon driver no longer supports UMS (user modesetting), and only
> supports KMS. Consequently, to use up to date versions of the radeon
> driver, FreeBSD must have kernel modesetting for AMD cards. AMD has no
> official support for FreeBSD.

Fix: X.Org working on driver pimitives. So why can cheat new X.Org, as we
cheat linux apps throw linux emulation layer.

> Nothing is preventing the FreeBSD project from writing their own radeon
> driver, but given the amount of code that would need to be written (and the
> lack of developers working on FreeBSD compared to Linux), it's much easier
> to port the Linux code than write it all from scratch.

Why from scratch? Let's do fork of ums code (and forexamle call him ums-ng)
and piecemeal upgrade him to functionality of kms. I am sure that there
will be supporters of my ideas. People must have choice ums vs kms like as
linux vs freebsd!