Status of ATI video acceleration support?

archibald archibald at ethernull.org
Tue May 7 08:40:59 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-07 02:44, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
> Jean-Sébastien Pédron wrote:
>>> rfg wrote:
>>    o  Support for the dedicated chip (called UVD) was just committed
>>       Linux a few days ago and will be available with Linux 3.10.
>>       Therefore, I need to resync with a more current version of
>>       Linux. It's not a priority as of now.
>
> I doubt that I can singlehandedly influence your priority list,
> however
> for whatever it is worth, let me just say that I am probably not the
> only
> person who thinks that it would be Very Nice Indeed if hardware
> accelerated
> video decode was supported for Radeon under FreeBSD... as it is
> already in
> Linux and Windoze.

It's not yet in Linux: the code has been committed to Mesa and the
kernel, but there hasn't been a release of either since then.

>>       Furthermore, it'll need a
>>       version of Mesa which won't be release before the end of this
>>       year probably.
>
> Huh?  That is a rather preplexing statement.  If you need a version of
> Mesa
> that will not be available until the end of the year, then how are the
> Linux folks able to offer Redeon UVD video decode support _now_,
> rather
> than after the versions of Mesa you speak of is released?  How are the
> Linux people offering support even without that newer version of Mesa?
>
> (I'm not complaining.  I am just confused and seeking enlightenment.)

The linux folks need to use code from git in order to get UVD support,
it's not out of the box for anybody using open source software (and
won't be for several months).

Archibald