Help debugging xfig lockup?

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Wed Jun 12 04:59:28 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 08:16:24PM -0700 I heard the voice of
David Wolfskill, and lo! it spake thus:

> A few days ago, I happened to want to use it .... and I find that it
> starts OK, but once a Drawing mode or an Editing action is selected,
> it locks up -- no other selection appears to have an effect, and
> causing the application to exit requires some "external assistance"
> (e.g., from another xterm, "pkill xfig").

As a data point (I also use xfig somewhat rarely but repeatedly over a
decade+), I just fiddled with it a bit here without trouble, with
ports up to date as of yesterday, and -CURRENT as of the weekend.

I'd guess the difference is probably in details of X.  I'm using the
radeon driver on non-WITH_NEW_XORG.

> But debugging an X11 application is something that leaves me rather
> wondering how to go about it.  Any clues?

Well, xfig isn't using anything particularly new or exciting in X; I
doubt it's even hitting any OpenGL paths or the like.  I'd start by
just slapping a gdb on it and see if I can get a hint of where in what
library it's stuck; maybe that'll make the answer obvious...

Going into draw/edit mode does involve changing the cursor; maybe
that's the significant bit?

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net