Intel HD4000 status

Florent Peterschmitt florent at peterschmitt.fr
Thu Jun 6 08:58:02 UTC 2013

Le 06/06/2013 09:52, isdtor a écrit :
> I was wondering what the status of Intel HD4000 support is as I simply
> cannot get it to work.
>
> The system is running a fresh install of FreeBSD 9.1 release amd64
> with ports svn head. I rebuilt the xorg server with
>
> WITH_NEW_XORG="YES"
> WITH_KMS="YES"
>
> in make.conf. After a reboot, once gdm starts, I see the busy cursor
> flashing up a few times and then there's a black screen. No switching
> to a text console (which I believe has not been implemented yet) is
> possible and I can only login via ssh.
>
> The X logs don't show any errors. There are 7 Xorg log files of
> identical size listing two warnings
>
> [    28.642] (WW) VGA arbiter: cannot open kernel arbiter, no multi-card support
> [    28.774] (WW) Option "Device" requires an string value
>
> and ending with
>
> [    28.778] (II) PS/2 Mouse: SetupAuto: hw.iftype is 4, hw.model is 0
> [    28.778] (II) PS/2 Mouse: SetupAuto: protocol is SysMouse
> [    28.820] (II) UnloadModule: "kbd"
> [    28.820] (II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
> [    28.823] Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.
>
> /var/log/messages has these entries:
>
> 6x "gdm-binary[1589]: WARNING: GdmDisplay: display lasted 0.222588 seconds" and
> gdm-binary[1589]: WARNING: GdmLocalDisplayFactory: maximum number of X
> display failures reached: check X server log for errors
>
> This is a laptop with dual gfx, but the discrete card disabled in the BIOS.
>
> I've tried this without xorg.conf, and also with two .conf files in
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d that represent the ServerFlags and Device section
> shown here, http://forums.freebsd.org/showpost.php?s=2739717f480dde7e26ce4494379517d5&p=196587&postcount=10
> . I could probably switch to discrete graphics, but would prefer to
> get the integrated graphics working first.

Intel HDxxxx support is very experimental, even if in changelog there is
"support for i915 cards". Personally, I dont speak about support but
"very very highly experimental support under development".

The discrete card cannot be used as a dedicated card, you'll get no
result with it until support of Optimus in nVidia's driver (if I guess
your discrete card is an nVidia one).

I tried many things with i915 cards until giving up because it crash my
UFS partitions…

--
Florent Peterschmitt           | Please:
florent at peterschmitt.fr        |  * Avoid HTML/RTF in E-mail