xf86-input-mouse problem

William Bulley web at umich.edu
Wed Jun 5 17:55:26 UTC 2013

I have just wiped all my ports on a 9.1-STABLE system which was
built about a month ago.  My previous ports were all built around
May 23rd.  Due to some odd problems (FF21 crashed, libreoffice would
not start, etc.) I decided to rebuild all my ports.

Today I have built enough ports to be able to run Xorg and open-motif.
About 260 ports are built without error.  I launch a number of xterm
windows in which I work with mouse and keyboard.  Once I reach this
minimum level of ports building, I can transition from virtual TTYs
to xterm windows as I build out the rest of my ports (target number
is between 800 and 900).

I was shocked and stunned when I began to move my mouse and arrange
my xterm windows, some iconified and some not, that my mouse cursor
disappeared!  Also, my three mouse buttons did not work.  The keyboard
continued to work, so I suspect some change in the xf86-input-mouse
port from 1.7.1_1 to 1.19.0 has occurred.  I was happily using 1.7.1_1
as recently as yesterday (before this upgrade effort) where my mouse
worked flawlessly.  BTW, the mouse works just fine in the virtual TTYs
where I am now composing this message.

I can provide more detail if needed, but at present I cannot use my system
with the X Window System (Xorg and friends) at all.  This limits me to using
only command line (non-graphical) commands and applications which is limiting.

After I wiped all my ports (including removing the "work" dirctories), I ran:

   # cd /usr/ports
   # svn update /usr/ports

I am aware of a recent entry in /usr/ports/UPDATING about changes to the
Xorg family of ports, but for normal (standard) use, it said I should not
expect any problems.  This is clearly not the case!  In building Xorg
today, I ran these commands:

   # cd /usr/ports/x11/xorg
   # make install

In the past, for the past six or seven years, this has always worked for
me.  I follow this with a build of x11-toolkits/open-motif which has not
changed version for some time.  Therefor, I do not think open-motif is at
fault today.  I use mouse focus within Mwm, so you can understand what I
mean when I say my system is not usable at present.  Please advise!  :-)

Regards,

web...

William Bulley                     Email: web at umich.edu

72 characters width template ----------------------------------------->|