Need help untangling Xorg behavior on Haswell board, KMS, etc. etc.

John Reynolds johnjen at reynoldsnet.org
Mon Jul 22 22:42:37 UTC 2013

On 7/19/2013 9:15 PM, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> Did you define WITH_KMS in /etc/make.conf? Did you build libdrm with
> the KMS option?

yes, to both.
> There have been reports of issues with Haswell GPUs, so it still may
> not work with the current KMS code, but it is worth a try. (And it
> would be appreciated if you could report the results.)

since you asked .... no I have not been successful at all getting the
haswell GPU to work. I took the default config file that is written out
with Xorg -configure and hand-edited it to remove the second "screen"
section and what-not--eliminating the VESA driver from being used for
anything and only declaring something that could use the "intel" driver.
No good. I still get  the same "drmOpenDevice: Open failed" messages
that I've quoted before and it says "no screens detected" when trying to
fire up and then just goes back to the console.

So, definitely it is not working. H/W is ASRock Z87 Extreme moboard.

> If all else fails, you can use VESA, but it will be very slow and may
> have other issues.
> --
I will probably have to do that, yes, until things can get fixed. I'm
upgrading to the latest 9-STABLE sources right now (originally I
installed from a 9.2-PRELEASE DVD image) in hopes that something was
updated.

-Jr