Intel HD4000 status

isdtor at gmail.com isdtor at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 07:50:39 UTC 2013

> Intel HDxxxx support is very experimental, even if in changelog there is
> "support for i915 cards". Personally, I dont speak about support but
> "very very highly experimental support under development".
>
> The discrete card cannot be used as a dedicated card, you'll get no
> result with it until support of Optimus in nVidia's driver (if I guess
> your discrete card is an nVidia one).
>
> I tried many things with i915 cards until giving up because it crash my
> UFS partitions…

 I have finally had some success.

 I had to rebuild world a few days ago since running system and kernel
 sources were out of sync (which failed some ports), so I'm running a
 9.2 pre-release system now, and the Intel driver works fine, with gdm/gnome
 and without xorg.conf. There is a possibility it might have worked by
 rebuilding world to 9.1 release, but I never tried. This is something
 I've experienced before, e.g. sound only working when rebuilding the
 whole system, even when the running system was at the same code
 revision level.

 Some things are not quite right yet, though. E.g. Fn-F7 (= LCD
 backlight dim) sends the laptop into hibernation from which it doesn't
 recover, despite producing some interesting colour patterns on the
 screen [close lid + open lid = power button blinking]. It wold be nice
 if FBSD had the same level of function key support (acpi?) as Linux on
 this machine (T530).