WITH_NEW_XORG=yes -- failure

matt sendtomatt at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 04:38:22 UTC 2012

On 11/05/12 15:19, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> Isn't all of this NEW_XORG stuff eventually supposed to be become the
> new "official" xorg stuff for FreeBSD?  If so, is anybody going to work
> on fixing this, which appears to be a quite serious bug?

Personally, and with all due internet respect, I think it's not really a
bug (in this case)...you do have two video cards with valid drivers. If
you had one card and the correct driver, everything would be fine. If
you had two cards and only the correct driver for the card you wanted,
you would be fine. Since you had two cards and two correct drivers X
-configure tried to setup both cards and exited when that failed. I
agree the error message is vague. The more elegant solution would be to
setup the card which could be configured, and ignore the one which could
not, while notifying the user that only one card could be configured due
to the lack of an accompanying screen (or whatever reason) on the other.
Given the few people working on Xorg for FreeBSD, you may want to either
file a bug upstream or start figuring out how to add the functionality
with a patch and file a PR.

Matt