System locks up when X with intel GPU support exits

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Sun May 13 05:04:58 UTC 2012

While I know that vty support i still MIA, exiting X completely hangs
my system. I can't even ping the box. I have to power down and do disk
rebuilds.
i don't use a display manager, but just startx(1), so that means that
I have to shutdown from X. I have forgotten and logged out a couple of
times. Ouch!

Is this expected behavior? Is there a way around this? I read that it
should work if the vty mode is set to have the same resolution as X,
but my X is 1600x900 and VESA only supports 1280x1024, so I cant so
this on my ThinkPad. (Why doesn't Lenovo support the display's native
resolution in BIOS?)

Any work in progress to get vty support?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com