Intel KMS: a memory problem

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 23:21:17 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Jakub Lach <jakub_lach at mailplus.pl> wrote:
> 32 bit systems being faster
> (for Windows desktop usually!) than
> 64 was quite a bit time ago.
>
> Also, even then 64 bit ones were
> faster where it could be utilised.
>
> Umm... Please do not be offended, but all
> basics are here:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit#Pros_and_cons

No offense taken. Times change and change fast in the computer world.
I have not dealt with CPUs in really gory, down the gate and flip-flop
level since the PDP-8x and at the "know what exactly  given
instruction does and how many clock cycles" since the MicroVAX and the
Z-80. I have never written, nor could I read assembly language for a
modern processor. Looks like my general knowledge is also a bit out of
date.

Thanks to the pointer to a really good article.

That said, it clearly depends on just what you are doing with the
processor whether 64-bit mode is signofocant win, but the issue of
more general registers alone makes it pretty likely that it is if the
compiler does a good job. I guess my information was from the days
when compilers did not.

Thanks!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer