Intel X3000 black screen using Vesa driver

matt sendtomatt at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 20:31:22 UTC 2012

On 02/25/12 11:06, Kaya Saman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 9.0 x64 Release on a Lenovo X220 notebook.
>

> So far everything seems to work but for whatever reason I can't seem
> to start X properly!
>

> I ran: Xorg -configure xorg.conf.new -retro
>
> which worked and I got the Xorg grey fuzzy screen with X cursor in it.
>
> The rest of the steps I took from the handbook:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html
>

> I have a .xinitrc file containing:
>
> exec xterm &
> exec fluxbox/jwm (I set to either option)
>

> But to no luck :-(
>

> I think it's because Xorg has changed and the .xinitrc seems to be
> deprecated/depreciated and not used any more.
>

> Currently am using the Vesa driver as none of the Intel drivers seem
> to work for me:
>
> Screen not found
>

> Error coming up each time.
>

> I tried with both these drivers:
>
> xf86-driver-intel
> xf86-driver-intel29
>

> Also my screen is 720p half HD so res supported is 1366x768 which
> standard Vesa driver doesn't like the mode of either.
>

> Can anyone help me out?
>

> Will post the Xorg.log and other output if necessary but am stuck
> using virtual terminals so had to reboot into Fedora 16 to be able to
> send email.
>
> Will need to get Alpine coupled with my .pinerc files working so that
> I can use my Gmail account but that's not an issue - it's something I
> have to do regardless :-)
>

> Regards,
>

> Kaya
.xinitrc works fine. I use it all the time...maybe try commenting out
all items and just put "xterm -rv"?
I haven't tried the vesa drivers, but xorg should work after using the
patches for intel graphics KMS. VESA only supports resolutions exposed
by the video bios, which are often "wrong".

Meowthink has been posting patches from head backported to 9, my
understanding is you'll want to merge the xorg-dev port from here:
http://wiki.freebsd.org/Intel_GPU (after the long list of individual
ports, or...)
and then apply Meowthink's patch.

The xorg-dev merge will add some ports including a kms enabled intel
driver (3d, native resolution)

Matt