xorg-dev + intel driver + KMS

Thomas D. Dean tomdean at speakeasy.org
Sun Sep 4 17:54:59 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-09-04 at 18:46 +0300, Kostik Belousov wrote:

A note on a similar problem.

On an HP envy 64-bit laptop with Ubuntu 10.04 booting in a normal way
such that X starts hangs most (80%) of the time.  The machine is not
responsive to the keyboard, but, about half the time, I can ssh and kill
the X processes.  Booting into the Ubuntu recovery mode, log in and then
'sudo service gdm start' works every time I have tried it.

I have FreeBSD-stable on the same machine using the vesa driver and the
Radeon chip.  My problem was discussed on this list "Xorg Fails on HP
Envy 3D Laptop".

This is not a production machine.  Is it interesting to update to
current and try the Radeon driver?  I can do this in mid-October...

tomdean