Nuked System

jwagner at graffdeals.com jwagner at graffdeals.com
Thu Oct 6 20:47:43 UTC 2011

Hi

This is an FYI message more than anything.

I started a thread on the FreeBSD forums regarding something that happened
to one of my new systems.  I installed using the onboard video card and
had problems - KDE screensaver wouldn't start, libreoffice trouble, etc.
Was hoping that getting a standalone would solve them, so I installed it.
Erased the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file because the onboard chip is radeon and
the standalone is nvidia.  Per the handbook, startx may work without
configuration.  However, when I did startx as a regular user, it didn't
work and upon reboot, my system won't make it through the boot process to
a prompt.

Don't know if the problem is in X11, KDE, or somewhere else, but wanted to
let somebody know as it's a very serious bug to have.  You can find all
the details and steps I took in the thread found at
http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=26849  Feel free to e-mail me
for more information, but my plan is to wipe the system & start over in
the near future unless I get some help on how to get it working.

Thanks for your time.

Jim