AMD E-350

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 14 15:38:00 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Oliver Fromme <olli at lurza.secnetix.de> wrote:
> Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
>  > Oliver Fromme wrote:
>  > > Just a quick question ...  I plan to buy a small fanless
>  > > box based on the AMD E-350 processor.  The box is intended
>  > > to be used for web surfing in the living room, and possibly
>  > > also as a media player.  Is the built-in Radeon graphics of
>  > > the AMD E-350 supported by FreeBSD + Xorg?  Or will I have
>  > > to install "that other OS"?
>  >
>  > I can't say definitively if modesetting will work with the radeon driver
>  > on FreeBSD, but I can say definitively that it doesn't provide any 2D or
>  > 3D acceleration.
>
> Good to know.  That means it's basically useless.
>
>  > On a somewhat related note...  I heard that the work the FreeBSD
>  > Foundation and iXsystems is paying for in regards to KMS
>  > (http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-announce/2011-February/001361.html)
>  > is limited to Intel GPUs.  Can someone please confirm or deny that
>  > depressing bit of information?
>
> Uhm ...  No idea, but if that's true, it might make sense
> for me to wait a bit and buy a board based on the new intel
> "Sandy Bridge" Core i3-2100T or similar with built-in
> graphics.  Provided that one's supported then.
>
> Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much choice when
> building a low-noise and low-power surf box for the living
> room based on FreeBSD.  Atom boards run (mostly), but they
> don't have HDMI output with full HD support.  AMD E-350 is
> not supported by FreeBSD, as you wrote above ...  Not much
> left ...
>
> Best regards
>   Oliver

Any atom board with nvidia ion graphics will be able to use hw
acceleration (vdpau) to decode full hd x264 and output over HDMI, eg
http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12677

I use a much weaker nvidia graphics card and can decode 1080p HD
broadcasts with full acceleration.

You can also get ion boards with a S775 socket, if you want a little
more CPU oomph.

Cheers

Tom