xf86-video-ati with patch-src-radeon_driver.c freeze the system

Jung-uk Kim jkim at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 1 22:55:39 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 01 March 2011 05:44 pm, Warren Block wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2011, Roland Smith wrote:
> >> Yet the HD4650 has worked every time...
> >
> > Question is, does it work without the patch in the ports tree?
>
> Just switched back, and yes, it's fine.  Same values, too: mem_size
> 20000000, aper_size 0.
>
> BusType, either the xorg.conf setting or the kind of bus that's
> really in the machine, may be important.  That's why I've mentioned
> PCIE.  If you have AGP, that could be a factor.  Certainly if you
> have a physical bus that doesn't match what's set in xorg.conf,
> that's not good.

Yes, GART handling is very specific to its bus type.  Also, IGP (e.g.,
RS780) chipsets must be treated as PCI, not PCIE.  Forcing BusType is
really really bad idea unless you know what you are doing.  I think
it must be removed from ports/UPDATING (along with other non-sensical
recommendations).

Jung-uk Kim