Graphic card that works?

Adam K Kirchhoff akirchhoff135014 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 19:30:17 UTC 2011

On Thursday 30 June 2011 14:34:57 Michal Varga wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 20:09, Adam K Kirchhoff
>
> <akirchhoff135014 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > I love how you say you're not going into an ATI flameware again, and then
> > you spend the entire paragraph trying to start one.
> >
> > Adam
>
> In which i single-handedly succeeded, even without trying, if that is
> the only part of my email that forced you to fire up a reply. But
> you're clearly not an ATI fanboy, aren't you.
>
> m.
>

> (Also, I'm not going to reply to any other provocation, so we may as
> much as end it right here, if that's okay with you.)

My last comment...

I'm not an ATI fanboy.  I prefer an honest and open discussion, which is
something that is not encouraged by phrases like "completely delusional",
"clearly hates", "dumb enough", "horrible crap", etc.

For what it's worth, I do not and will not recommend nvidia since my last
attempts at using their drivers (on two separate machines) resulted in
constant lockups when doing anything 3D related with NVRM XiD errors dumped to
dmesg and the console right before the lockups, and no help from anyone other
than recommendations to update to the latest BIOS for my computer and wait for
a newer driver.

On the other hand, under linux with KMS enabled, I am able to use desktop
effects, play doom3/ut2004 (natively) and various games under wine, and have a
seamless desktop experience with an HD4850.  However, I do primarily use
FreeBSD and it is sad that the open source drivers are not as capable here.
It is also unfortunate that when I lose at what functionality I currently
enjoy under FreeBSD, I will have to look at other hardware (not nvidia for
reasons I already explained) or another desktop operating system.

Adam