Status of support for Intel 3000 (Sandybridge) (and VESA help)

Andrey Kosachenko andrey.kosachenko at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 12:29:17 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 22.06.2011 10:13, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> I just received my new laptop which has a Sandybridge CPU with the
> built-in Intel 3000 graphics.
>
> Does any one know what the state of support for this might be? ATM,
> the Intel driver simply does not recognize it.
>
> I am running VESA for now, but it seems no no understand 16:9
> displays, so everything is stretched and the max resolution is
> 1024x768 on my 1600x900 display. Is there any config change that might
> fix this up?
>
> This laptop is proving challenging. (It's a Lenovo T520.)
>
> Thanks for any pointers.

I hate to say but the thing is that most likely VESA is the only option
available so far :(.

AFAIK FreeBSD has not supported GEM/KMS so far which in turn
automatically means incompatibility with intel drivers 2.9+ (you may
check this thread for reference:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2010-October/010195.html).

Also several months the new project was announced aimed at
implementation/porting of GEM/KMS
(http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-announce/2011-February/001361.html).

Perhaps smb. can shed the light on the current status of this really
promising project...

--
WBR,
Andrey Kosachenko