Graphic card that works?

Allen Unix.Hacker at comcast.net
Fri Jul 1 07:25:11 UTC 2011

First, please just do a reply to list. I don't understand why I get two
copies of these but please just reply to list instead of CCing it.

On 6/30/2011 8:50 PM, Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 20:17:43 -0400
> Allen <Unix.Hacker at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I can't imagine why someone would put that much effort into ignoring
>> page upon page of your post only to respond to the last part of it.
>> Totally ignoring that you basically wrote a 4 page HOWTO for Graphics
>> cards.
>
> There was nothing much worth responding to.  In terms of ATI/AMD
> hardware, there were no facts in Michal's e-mail, just rhetoric.  How
> can anyone respond to that without stooping to the same level? Perhaps
> I could have responded with facts about AMD hardware on FreeBSD with
> the open source drivers, but I already posted that information two days
> ago.

There was plenty worth responding to. He did a lot more than talk about
Nvidia, he talked about most of the cards you can get right now. He also
brought up Intel's "cards" which, he rightly pointed out, are garbage. I
think even you can agree with that.

> Personally, I can't imagine why some folks would spend so much time
> defending nvidia when someone else makes the simple claim that the
> nvidia driver just doesn't work for them.

I don't defend anything I don't use. The reason I personally got in on
this was the fact that when this post was originally made here, I made a
simple reply, back when there weren't a bunch of them turning into a
borderline flame. I told the guy what hardware I personally had, and my
experience with it. I did so with the intent of helping. I didn't bring
up any cards I hadn't personally used, and I made sure to say which
cards they were exactly in case they had access to any of them. That way
they could try them as well.

See, I didn't have some agenda, and still don't other than the fact that
you seem to think that what I and the other person have said is either a
lie, or we .... Actually I don't even know what other reason you'd
have... So I can't say. But the reason we "defend" Nvidia, is
that..Well, my reason is simple; The 3 Nvidia cards I have, have worked
excellent for me. No matter if it was Windows, Linux, or BSD. I have yet
to have an issue.

> Ahhh, maybe I just need to unsubscribe from this list and let
> misinformation run rampant.

Misinformation and disinformation, is the weapon of the stupid. I don't
think anyone here has actually said anything they haven't meant. I know
everything I've said about the cards I've used, was accurate. That's why
I gave specific model information, so the person could look into that
specific card.

What does bother me is the fact that your main complaint seemed to be
the fact that the Driver wasn't Open Source, and that "room mates have
problems with them".... I don't know or remember which cards it was you
said they had, but I don't think you'd outright lie just to make someone
get ATI cards.

You know what we could have done though? Possibly just listed which
cards we all have, and which ones worked best. Maybe then it wouldn't be
what it is now.