R: Setting up xorg, the quick and dirty method (was "Removal of sysinstall from HEAD and lack of a post-install configuration tool")

Pedro Giffuni pfg at freebsd.org
Fri Dec 30 02:35:22 UTC 2011

Hi Warren;

--- Gio 29/12/11, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> ha scritto:

> > Unfortunately this is usually not enough. In the
> > case of VirtualBox, you have to check this:
> > http://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox
>
> What more did you have to do?
>
> Installing xorg and enabling/starting dbus and hal is all I
> did on a
> fresh install of 9.0-RC3 amd64 in VirtualBox just now.

TBH, at the time there had been some USB changes and
the instructions to setup hal were not up to date.
I recall the worst of all was having to *type* the
configuration files. It simply didn't work and I
eventually gave up on setting up the i386 test VM:
I do everything on the native amd64 partition
anyways.

> > The HAL part is not at all obvious and it is not
> > fun to have to check this stuff on the web.
>
> It is in the Handbook X11 config section.  Or you can
> turn off
> AutoAddDevices in xorg.conf and hal is not needed.
> That's also in the
> Handbook X11 config section.
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html

Nice. If I ever do it on my own again I will try it :).

Pedro.