NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 vs 16 years old screen

Anonymous swell.k at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 22:48:55 UTC 2010

Kata Goto <black.katagoto at gmail.com> writes:

> 2010/9/18 Anonymous <swell.k at gmail.com> writes:
>> Try to select vesa(4x) explicitly or deinstall nv(4x).
>
>> BTW, I think your chip (0x0e22) is supported by nvidia-driver
>> since 256.44,
>> the latest being is 260.19.06.
>
> Thank you for you quickly answer,
> First I have deinstall nv driver, but the problem was already here,
> then, I edit my xorg.conf : I replace nv by vesa, and now it works!

> But, is the 3D acceleration activate ?

Of course not. If you want any 3D (not 2D) accel better install
nvidia-driver. Well, for 2D accel I'd still suggest it because with
nv(4x) you'll not have XVIDEO/RENDER accel on your card and nouveau(4x)
is slowly bitrotting in our ports.

While I'm not sure why update is delayed you can try latest
nvidia-driver with my patch (attached) in the meantime. But I've only
tested it on /head at amd64 + Xserver 1.9.0. Also note, I removed VDPAU
bits deliberately, they're gonna be provided by libvdpau port
(cf. ports/150368 et al.), the distfile doesn't have vdpau*.h headers,
anyway.