[Call for Testing] X.org 7.5 for FreeBSD

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 15 03:57:14 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-03-14 at 15:02 -0600, Warren Block wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2010, Robert Noland wrote:
>
> > Ok, now that agp seems to be working... I have created a port for the
> > 2.9.1 version of the Intel driver.  You will need to uninstall the
> > existing intel driver and install this one.  You still won't have drm,
> > but should be a good bit better than vesa...
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~rnoland/xf86-video-intel29.tar.gz
>
> Problem: after switching away from X with ctrl-alt-f4, on switching back
> the screen is corrupted.  Stuff that's drawn on top of it after that
> point is usually correct.  The clear areas on this image were caused by
> GIMP redrawing them; before opening it, they were the same as the strip
> on the right edge.

Ok, I'm not surprised... I spent a little time playing with the 2.9.1
driver on my g45 today.  Basically... It is horrid...

When Intel chose to remove all non-GEM support for the 2.8 series
driver, what is actually going on is that it is calling into
libdrm_intel's fake buffer manager and doing ton's of memcpy's.  It
seems to be sort of ok as long as it is just basic 2d, but enable
composite in metacity and it falls on it's face...  Granted all of my
machines run with WITNESS and INVARIANTS, but you can almost count the
pixels as they are drawn...

I was thinking that Intel had actually killed the fake buffer manager as
well, but it looks like it does still exist in libdrm git.  Perhaps it
was that they removed it from mesa.  At any rate, they don't deny that
it is broken, nor do they test it or have any intention of fixing it...

The only reason for using the 2.9.1 driver that I can think of is if you
have an Ironlake chipset, which isn't supported in 2.7.1.  I now have to
decide whether to spend time back porting Ironlake support to 2.7.1 or
spend time on GEM.

robert.

> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/xorg7.5/grab.png
>
> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA
Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD