intel video driver problem

Larry Gingras larry at cybent.net
Mon Jun 14 17:53:44 UTC 2010

I have a problem with acceleration features on my graphic adapter.
I have (according to Xorg.0.log) Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R)
965GM (it is ASUS laptop X80L).
When acceleration is enabled, some parts of windows sometimes became
garbled. It seems like parts of video memory is littered. Image is only
restored when affected regions is completely redrawn, minimize-restore
of window do not restore garbled region (but image inside garbled region
become different, it become part of desktop or something like that).
I tried to disable everything that use acceleration (disable composition
in KDE, etc), even disable DRI but if acceleration is enabled in
xorg.conf this bug remains. If I disable acceleration (with Option
"Accel" "off") - everything works fine.
I tried to play with various options in xorg.conf but there are not many
options to play with. Driver just ignores a lot of options (such as
VideoRam). I tried change AccelMethod, but only EXA works for me (XAA
and UXA make Xorg halt on starting graphic mode, I just have blank black
screen and everything stop, I cannot switch back to console or kill X
server).
Only completely disabling acceleration make things better.
I use FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE, xorg 7.4, and intel video driver 2.7.1 (it is
latest version currently present in ports).
I'm not sure it is bug in xorg driver or in kernel support (i915 and drm
modules, btw I mention these are not loaded if acceleration is disabled).
It seems to me that it is some sort of memory allocation or access issue.

Please advice possible solutions.

BTW I think driver is severely outdated now. intellinuxgraphics.org have
2.11.0 now. I tried to download it but I cannot build it (I think it is
for linux only and must be ported to FreeBSD).