freebsd7, radeon, xorg-server -> deadlock or so

Norbert Papke npapke at acm.org
Wed Feb 10 16:43:50 UTC 2010

On February 10, 2010, Robert Noland wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-02-09 at 19:43 -0800, Norbert Papke wrote:
> > I think the variable include more than just the model of graphics card.
> > I just replaced my motherboard, keeping all other components, disks,
> > software and configuration.  With the old motherboard my HD 3650 was
> > working great including 3D acceleration.  With the new board, X will
> > hang/crash with DRI enabled.  Even with DRI disabled, I still experience
> > problems with the screen not updating unless I wiggle the mouse.
>
> Ah, this suggest an issue with interrupts.  If the driver is blocked
> waiting on an event, moving the mouse will interrupt the driver and
> force it to update.

Based on your suggestion in another thread, I tried to disable MSI.  This did
not make a difference.  I still experience the hang.

I had only tried to start X with DRI disabled once.  The time I tried it, it
worked with the above mentioned interrupt problem.  It seems that I got lucky
that time.  I reattempted to run with DRI disabled, and hung the machine three
times in a row.

I have run out of time for the moment and will try a few more things tonight.

-- Norbert Papke.
   npapke at acm.org