Multiple card setup possible?

Paul Boehmer paul at pboehmer.com
Mon Nov 2 21:57:50 UTC 2009

I am getting ready to build a new workstation and was curious to see if
anyone has any idea on when multiple cards will be supported (if at all).
I have a ATI 9450 and a dual head ATI 9250 card, but have not been able to
get them to work together, though they work individually.

My current workstation is still on an older version of Xorg that is
currently using a Nvidia card and two Matrox cards to power three heads.
It would be nice if I could retain this setup, but with newer cards
listed above.

When both cards are installed, I get the following error in Xorg.0.log:

------- Snip ---------
(II) Loading sub module "fbdevhw"
(II) LoadModule: "fbdevhw"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module fbdevhw
(II) UnloadModule: "fbdevhw"
(EE) Failed to load module "fbdevhw" (module does not exist, 0)
(WW) Falling back to old probe method for fbdev

full log @ http://www.pboehmer.com/Xorg.0.log

>From what I understand (could be way off), the problem is related to the
VGA arbiter in libpciaccess.  This is a little over my head, but I would
be more than welcome to try any patches or any other suggestions.

Thanks.