Radeon performance and AIGLX problem

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Sun May 24 14:27:48 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-24 at 03:01 +0200, Ivan Voras wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to configure a desktop with Radeon 3650, RV635 chip.
>
> Using both the radeon and the radeonhd driver I see slow drawing,
> occasional display corruption when moving windows, an unsettling
> "reset" of the whole screen when a video is played.

This we may need to look at... You are using EXA right?

> Enabling AIGLX with "radeonhd" makes X.Org freeze with a blank screen
> (ctrl-backspace doesn't work but system responds to network and
> crtl-alt-del) on start, and the following message in X.Org with the
> "radeon" driver:
>
> (II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable
> drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
> drmOpenDevice: open result is 11, (OK)
> drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:07:00.0
> drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
> drmOpenDevice: open result is 11, (OK)
> drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 11
> drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:07:00.0
> (EE) AIGLX error: Calling driver entry point failed(EE) AIGLX: reverting
> to software rendering
> (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/local/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so
> (II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0

There is no hardware support for 3d on this chip yet.  (Well, I've been
working with early code, but it isn't ready to release yet.)

> glxinfo then shows:
>
> name of display: :0.0
> display: :0  screen: 0
> direct rendering: Yes

Yes, this is odd, but correct... You have a "direct rendered" software
driver (swrast).

> and OpenGL is always software rendered.
>
> My entire xorg.conf is:
>
> ----
> Section "ServerLayout"
>     Identifier     "Layout0"
>     Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>     Option       "AIGLX" "On"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>      Identifier     "Device0"
>      Driver         "radeon"
>      VendorName     "AMDATI"
>      BoardName      "RadeonHD"
>      Option      "DRI"           "on"
> #    Option     "AccelMethod"   "exa"

Trying to use XAA on these chips is doomed to failure.

robert.