X questions before installing FreeBSD 7.2

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Mon May 18 13:58:21 UTC 2009

     On Sun, 17 May 2009 09:38:52 -0700 (PDT) "David Johnson"
<david at usermode.org> wrote:
>>      My questions before getting started later today run like this.
>>
>> 	a) What exactly is supported in the version of X.org distributed with
>> 	   FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE for this Mobility Radeon 9800 card, given the
>> 	   chip set(s), the screen capabilities, 256 MB on the card, and
>> 	   anything else you happen to notice in the excerpts above?
>
>You only had excerpts from Xorg.log, but xorg-7.4 with Radeon 9800 (using
>radeon driver) should have hardware acceleration, OpenGL and compositing.
>You just need to configure your xorg.conf file correctly. The driver for
>the r300 chipset should be very stable.

     So the r300 driver is the one that supports the R420 chip and its mobile
equivalent, the M18 chip?

>> 	b) What sort of DPMS stuff works and what doesn't?  Under 6.9.0, the
>> 	   xscreenserver-demo can be told to shut the screen off after a
>> 	   specified period of disuse, and it will do so.  Unfortunately, it
>> 	   doesn't offer any method of turning the screen back on again, so
>> 	   one has to reboot to get it to work again.  Working with a dead
>> 	   screen pretty much means shutting the system off (i.e., crashing
>> 	   it) and then powering up again.
>
>I haven't seen that at all. I just jiggle the mouse or tab a key, and the
>screen comes back in about five seconds.

     Oh, good.  I had the LCD screen replaced several months ago because the
CCFL had gotten rather dim, still usable but not optimal.  I'd like to slow
the similar aging of the replacement screen if possible because since the
replacement occurred, the service contract expired, so further replacements
would be very pricey. :-}

>> 	c) What other problems are known to occur with this hardware under
>> 	   FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE and its pre-installed X.org software?
>
>I have a tiny problem with my Radeon X1550, but it only happens with
>regards to AIGLX and I'm fairly sure it only affects certain r500 chipset
>cards.

     Okay.  Thanks very much for your reply.  It was the only one so far.
I delayed the installation while waiting to see any replies, but I'll probably
proceed with it tonight or tomorrow.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG