Anyone have an xorg.conf to share for an nVidia NV17 [GeForce4 440 Go]

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Fri Mar 20 21:52:54 PDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 11:29:05PM -0500, Robert Noland wrote:
> So, looking at the log, at least some of your drivers are out of date
> and not built against the current server.  Probably because they are
> either dead drivers, or not longer build.

Hmm... how might one know that a given driver is out of date?  As long
as I can do so without loss of functionality, I'll happily reduce the
number of installed ports....  :-}

> Start by removing the cyrix, imstt and nsc drivers and see if configure
> will run then.

Aye; it did; thanks!

> With current ports, the nv driver should dtrt.  FWIW,

I figured it would be adequate for my purposes....

> the only video drivers that you probably need are nv and possibly vesa.

Right.  The others would have been automagically installed from
installing the x11/xorg meta-port with minimal changes from the default
options.

I'm trying to be at least reasonable about keeping things up-to-date;
how might I take appropriate evasive action to reduce the probability of
a recurrence of this sort of thing?

Thanks again -- being stuck with a handful of vtys was crampiing my
style....  :-}

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.