what's the best-supported video card these days?

Mikhail T. mi+thun at aldan.algebra.com
Mon Mar 9 15:25:53 PDT 2009

Hello!

I'm looking to replace my "ATI Radeon NG R300 FireGL X1" because it
seems to be overheating once in a while forcing me to reboot.

What's the best-supported card? My requirements/preferences are:

   1. AGP.
   2. Dual DVI with at least 1600x1200 support (on each port).
   3. Working with amd64 (hence NVidia is out).
   4. Good 2D performance -- most important.
   5. Ok 3D performance -- no need to beat any benchmark, but OpenGL
      screensaver should be smooth.
   6. Supported by FreeBSD and Xorg, of course.

Do such things exist? Thanks for any ideas! Yours,

    -mi