Problem with VESA and 1680x1050

Andrew J. Caines A.J.Caines at halplant.com
Mon Jul 13 03:48:27 UTC 2009

John,

> I have a new box with an onboard GeForce 8200, which is not supported
>  by the 'nv' driver yet.

If you don't mind the closed code and aren't running 64 bit, you can use
x11/nvidia-driver.

Another option is x11-drivers/xf86-video-nouveau, but according to the
status page[1], "Some gpu's integrated onto the motherboard do not
function with nouveau for unknown reason, they include the geforce
8200/8300"

You might be able to get more help if you provide the chip ID.

> (II) VESA(0): Not using mode "1680x1050" (no mode of this name) So
> what gives? It seems like VESA is aware that the mode is supported,
> yet it drops it later on anyway.

That's not a VESA mode[1].

[1] http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FrontPage#Status
[1] See e.g.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions#Modes_defined_by_VESA
since vesa.org is useless for getting any information

-Andrew J. Caines-   Unix Systems Engineer   A.J.Caines at halplant.com
FreeBSD/Linux/Solaris, Web/Mail/Proxy/...   http://halplant.com:2001/
  "Machines take me by surprise with great frequency" - Alan Turing