Really strange resolution problems on xorg with a laptop

Jin Guojun[VFF] jguojun at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 13:56:51 PST 2009

Has this problem been resolved?

I have the same problem for a similar laptop (HP Pavilion dv5120us).
The X Server 1.4.0 (FreeBSD 6.3-R) works fine, but 1.4.2 (From both 6.4 and 7.1) produce this problem.
My screen is 13.25 inch x 8.25 inch in resolution 1280x800.
The DPI shown in Xorg.0.log is (96, 96), which is correct according to the dpi expression listed below.

Only strange # from the Xorg.0.log is the screen size 310 x 21.
The screen size should be 330 x 301, which is corrected stated in xorg.conf.

I wonder if this is a X Server 1.4.2 bug.
Is anyway to correct this problem? or X 1.4.0 has to be used for this particular laptop till a new X Server released.

-Jin