[Fun Again!!!] (Not so) funny problems with xorg-7.4 autodetection

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jan 29 08:06:14 PST 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 16:11 +0100, Christof Schulze wrote:
> Interesting. It seems that a lot of drivers have broken lately.
> the xf86-video-intel does the same thing for me. I completely rebuilt the
> system with hald dbus but when I start X, the system completely freezes.
> When using  vesa driver things work but they do so very slowly.

Folks, issues with different drivers are rarely related.  There is
another thread that I'm rapidly losing track of relating to this issue
on intel hardware.  For those issues, I need to know what kernel you are
running (I don't think it is relevant now) and exactly which intel chip
you have.

When the driver seems to work properly (for some definition of proper)
for most people, I have to be able to characterize what set of hardware
is failing to be able to nail down the issue.  There are a lot of moving
parts here.  agp, drm, the ddx driver itself, all have some amount of
chip specific behavior.

I need to figure out a better way to keep track of issues, as trying to
search back into the 100,000+ emails in my mailbox is not working out
well.  In other words, be patient, but if I drop you, just ping me
again, and please try to keep each thread on topic.

robert.