(Not so) funny problems with xorg-7.4 autodetection

kflavour iiv at dom.raid.ru
Wed Jan 28 00:09:21 PST 2009

> On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 20:17 -0600, Rick Voland wrote:
>> I, too, am having trouble with autodetection with xorg-7.4.
>>
>> After I type "startx", I see the usual blank, then text, then
>> blank, but
>> X stops at a blank screen.  It does not respond to
>> cntl-alt-backspace,
>> and only sometimes responds to the power-off button.
>>
>> I attach a tar file that contains output from dmesg, pciconf,
>> xorgconfig, and Xorg.0.log.
>
> The attached log does not indicate any input devices.  So either it
> is
> hanging just before it reaches that stage or hald and dbus are not
> running, or at least have not had adequate time to finish
> initializing.
>
> X -configure is the preferred way to generate a config these days.
> xf86config is going away, it may already be gone in server 1.6, but
> I'm
> sure it is already gone in master.
>
> The I915 should be fine, though the configless log seems a bit
> strange.
> I'll should have access to a 915gm based dell this weekend to check
> that.
>
> If the above is of no help, you could try to ssh in from another
> machine
> and see if you can tell what is going on, or better yet attach to
> the
> Xorg process with gdb and get a backtrace.
>
> robert.
>
>> The computer is an HP dv1000 with product number dv1331se.  It has
>> the
>> GM915 video chip and 1 GB of RAM.
>>
>> I used no xorg.conf configuration file for xorg-7.3.x because X
>> autodetected chip, resolution, and 24-bit color just fine.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rick Voland
>> rpvoland at spamcop.net

And I have the same problem after updating X.org on the both my
machines: 7.1-RELEASE/amd64 and 6.4-RELEASE/i386.
The 'X -configure' command produced wrong config. And even after
removing all incorrect records in it - this is take no effect. I
continuously updating ports and rebuild the X.org server when
modifications appear. The question is to better downgrade to
previuos version that work fine or wait a pathes?

ps.
The 7.1-RELEASE/amd64 PC have Radeon X300.
The 6.4-RELEASE/i386 PC have GeForce 4 MX 440.