Xorg 7.4 freezes when not moving the mouse

Paul B. Mahol onemda at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 09:36:05 PST 2009

On 1/24/09, Lucius Windschuh <lwindschuh at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys.
> I updated yesterday to the new Xorg 7.4 on my laptop. After rebuilding
> many of my ports due to the libxcb dependency, I stumbled upon a this
> error:
>
> The X server stops responding: nothing on the screen changes. Until I
> move the mouse cursor.
> Then, everything is normal for some time. And when I stop moving the
> mouse, it freezes again after a short time.
> Literally, this is a show-stopper. ;-)
>
> Some investigation with ktrace showed that my mouse is responsible:
> My configuration uses /dev/sysmouse as mouse device. It is opened by
> xf86OpenSerial() (xorg-server:
> hw/xfree86/os-support/shared/posix_tty.c).
> After some ioctls, this function clears the O_NONBLOCK flag on the
> associated file descriptor. So that's why X waits with blocking I/O
> for me to move the mouse, which lets moused generate output on
> /dev/sysmouse.
> Clearing O_NONBLOCK seems a bit strange to me, but I did not look
> further into the xf86OpenSerial()-Code. Instead, I patched
> xf86-input-mouse to set O_NONBLOCK again.
>
> I am not sure if this is the right point to correct the error. I would
> patch out the part around "i &= ~O_NONBLOCK" in xf86OpenSerial, but
> this could have consequences for other devices that assume that their
> device I/O blocks.
>
> You can find the dmesg, xorg.conf and Xorg.1.log and the patch on my
> site: http://sites.google.com/site/lwfreebsd/Home/files
> The patch itself is quite simple (
> http://sites.google.com/site/lwfreebsd/Home/files/xf86-input-mouse-O_NONBLOCK.diff.txt
> ).
>
> Other thoughts?
>
> I wonder why nobody has complained before. Is nobody using moused
> these days? ;-)
>
> Lucius

Xorg is compiled with hald support and hald is enabled?

moused is working fine for me, only if I add `Option
"AllowEmptyInput"       "0"` to xorg.conf,
and that one is documented in UPDATING.
Without it and without hald running mouse and keyboard where not
working at all and Xorg even managed to suspend freebsd.

--
Paul