X stopped working after upgrade to Xorg-7.4

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Sat Feb 28 18:37:23 PST 2009

On Sat, 2009-02-28 at 18:07 -0800, Joseph Olatt wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 03:54:44PM -0600, Robert Noland wrote:
> > On Sat, 2009-02-28 at 13:09 -0800, Joseph Olatt wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have a system with the following graphics card:
> > >
> > > Nvidia GeForce 7100 / nForce 620i
> > >
> > > It was never supported by Xorg's nv driver. However, without an
> > > /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, I could run "startx" and X would start
> > > up and I was able to run twm. I suspect it was using the vesa
> > > driver or fbdev.
> > >
> > > After upgrading to Xorg-7.4, that stopped working.
> > >
> > > Now if I try to run "startx" *without* /etc/X11/xorg.conf,
> > > I get the following:
> > > http://www.eskimo.com/~joji/x11/startx_no_xorg_conf.log
> > >
> > > The corresponding Xorg.0.log is:
> > > http://www.eskimo.com/~joji/x11/Xorg.0.log_no_xorg_conf
> > >

> > > If I try "X -configure", I get:
> > > http://www.eskimo.com/~joji/x11/X_-configure.log
> > >
> > > When I try to run "startx", I get the following:
> > > http://www.eskimo.com/~joji/x11/startx_xorg_conf.log
> > >
> > > The corresponding Xorg.0.log is:
> > > http://www.eskimo.com/~joji/x11/startx_xorg_conf.log
> > >
> > > The xorg.conf file is:
> > > http://www.eskimo.com/~joji/x11/xorg.conf
> >
> > Ok, something has gone horribly wrong in the probe phase.  Get rid of
> > all of the Screen lines from ServerLayout except for the entry for
> > Screen 0.  Get rid of all of the Monitor sections except for Monitor 0.
> > Get rid of all of the Device sections except for the one that has Card0.
> > And finally, get rid of all of the Screen sections except for Screen0.
> > See what that does...
> >
> > robert.
> <snip>
>
> Hello Robert,
>
> I've removed everything except the lines for Screen 0. Running startx
> gave the following:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~joji/x11/startx_1.log
>
> Corresponding Xorg.0.log is:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~joji/x11/Xorg.0.log_1
>
> xorg.conf is:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~joji/x11/xorg.conf_1
>
> thoughts?
>
> Thanks for your willingness to provide suggestions...

Ok, it looks like the driver is just broken... I'm not sure why a
release with the fixed code hasn't been made, but try this patch.

http://people.freebsd.org/~rnoland/patch-xf86-video-nv

robert.