X stopped working after upgrade to Xorg-7.4

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Sat Feb 28 13:54:56 PST 2009

On Sat, 2009-02-28 at 13:09 -0800, Joseph Olatt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a system with the following graphics card:
>
> Nvidia GeForce 7100 / nForce 620i
>
> It was never supported by Xorg's nv driver. However, without an
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, I could run "startx" and X would start
> up and I was able to run twm. I suspect it was using the vesa
> driver or fbdev.
>
> After upgrading to Xorg-7.4, that stopped working.
>
> Now if I try to run "startx" *without* /etc/X11/xorg.conf,
> I get the following:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~joji/x11/startx_no_xorg_conf.log
>
> The corresponding Xorg.0.log is:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~joji/x11/Xorg.0.log_no_xorg_conf
>

> If I try "X -configure", I get:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~joji/x11/X_-configure.log
>
> When I try to run "startx", I get the following:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~joji/x11/startx_xorg_conf.log
>
> The corresponding Xorg.0.log is:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~joji/x11/startx_xorg_conf.log
>
> The xorg.conf file is:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~joji/x11/xorg.conf

Ok, something has gone horribly wrong in the probe phase.  Get rid of
all of the Screen lines from ServerLayout except for the entry for
Screen 0.  Get rid of all of the Monitor sections except for Monitor 0.
Get rid of all of the Device sections except for the one that has Card0.
And finally, get rid of all of the Screen sections except for Screen0.
See what that does...

robert.