X stopped working after upgrade to Xorg-7.4

Joseph Olatt joji at eskimo.com
Sat Feb 28 13:20:23 PST 2009

Hello,

I have a system with the following graphics card:

Nvidia GeForce 7100 / nForce 620i

It was never supported by Xorg's nv driver. However, without an
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file, I could run "startx" and X would start
up and I was able to run twm. I suspect it was using the vesa
driver or fbdev.

After upgrading to Xorg-7.4, that stopped working.

Now if I try to run "startx" *without* /etc/X11/xorg.conf,
I get the following:
http://www.eskimo.com/~joji/x11/startx_no_xorg_conf.log

The corresponding Xorg.0.log is:
http://www.eskimo.com/~joji/x11/Xorg.0.log_no_xorg_conf

If I try "X -configure", I get:
http://www.eskimo.com/~joji/x11/X_-configure.log

When I try to run "startx", I get the following:
http://www.eskimo.com/~joji/x11/startx_xorg_conf.log

The corresponding Xorg.0.log is:
http://www.eskimo.com/~joji/x11/startx_xorg_conf.log

The xorg.conf file is:
http://www.eskimo.com/~joji/x11/xorg.conf

Has anybody else run into the same/similar issues after upgrade
to  Xorg-7.4? Does anybody have any suggestions that they can offer?

Thanks in advance for reading and trying to offer suggestions.

regards,
joseph