Initial RandR set-up

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 9 11:17:01 PST 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 10:40 -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> In these days of xrandr, is there a good, standard way to do the initial
> set-up of the display? I currently have a script to do "xrandr --output
> VGA2 --right-of VGA1" and, in one case, set the resolution of the second
> display. I'd like to know the best way to kick this off as early as
> possible in the startup of X.

Currently, this is probably the best way to deal with it.

If you use gnome, 2.24's display manager tool will handle it, though it
still has some issues.  The intel 965 laptop that I was using needed to
disable LVDS before it could enable both external displays and that
didn't seem to work quite right.  It tried to do the right thing, but I
still had to mess with the display settings a bit to use the second
external display.  I didn't get around to looking at the code to fix it
though.

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org>