xorg-server-1.5.3 doesn; t work with nvidia driver: Undefined symbol "miZeroLineScreenIndex"

Adam K Kirchhoff adamk at voicenet.com
Fri Feb 6 13:58:37 PST 2009

First of all, this thread suggests that it is possible to get the
nvidia driver working with xorg-server 1.5.3:

http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=126815

Second, if your estimate of "maybe half of all systems run nvidia" is
accurate, that's still "maybe half" of all systems that do not run
nvidia, and would likely benefit from an upgrade to xorg-server 1.5.3.
I know I do.

Third, if you use a binary only driver that has problems with an
updated x server, you are certainly not forced to upgrade.  You
could have just as easily stayed with 1.4.* till nvidia fixed their
drivers (which, by most accounts, already work with xorg-server 1.5.3).

Adam

On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 12:05:03 -0800
Yuri <yuri at rawbw.com> wrote:

> I upgraded my 71-PRERELEASE system and couldn't start xserver any more
> (see log below).
>
> googling this problem I found that many people had the same issue
> without the clear solution.
> "NVidia has to fix it's driver" is the solution,
>
> This is the major stability breach.
>
> There is really no reason to upgrade xorg-server to 1.5.3 if nvidia
> driver can't work with it since nvidia is the major card  provider and
> maybe half of all systems run nvidia.
>
> I believe xorg should be downgraded back to 1.4.X until the issue with
> NVidia driver is resolved.
>
> Yuri
>

> --- error log ---
> Current Operating System: FreeBSD xxx.xxx.xxx 7.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD
> 7.1-PRERELEASE #6: Sun Dec 21 13:41:31 PST 2008
> yuri at xxx.xxx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386
> Build Date: 05 February 2009  12:07:33PM
>
>         Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
>         to make sure that you have the latest version.
> Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
>         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
>         (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
> (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Feb  6 10:28:43 2009
> (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
> (EE) Failed to load module "type1" (module does not exist, 0)
> dlopen: /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules//libwfb.so: Undefined symbol
> "miZeroLineScre
> enIndex"
> (EE) Failed to load /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules//libwfb.so
> (EE) Failed to load module "wfb" (loader failed, 7)

believed to be clean.