ports/131016: x11/xorg - xorg-7.4 renders system unusable!

Snyder, David (TBS-CNNia) David.Snyder at turner.com
Fri Feb 6 06:00:13 PST 2009

The following reply was made to PR ports/131016; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Snyder, David (TBS-CNNia)" <David.Snyder at turner.com>
To: <bug-followup at FreeBSD.org>,
	<ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Subject: Re: ports/131016: x11/xorg - xorg-7.4 renders system unusable!
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 08:22:00 -0500

 Hello,

 For what it's worth, I seem to be having similar problems on FreeBSD
 7.1-RELEASE-p2.  In my case; however, I can use the mouse (a generic
 PS/2 style wheel mouse) but the keyboard beeps and sends random
 characters (mostly "d"'s...lots of them).

 I _am_ able to hit CTRL-ALT-F1 to escape out of the X Server and kill
 it.  The keyboard works fine in console mode, and no O/S level panicks
 or crashes so far.

 I'm kind-of bummed that X is broken since this is my primary
 workstation.  I guess I'll be using my laptop running Windows XP until
 this is sorted out.  Thankfully the TightVNC server works fine, so I can
 access my X desktop via the TightVNC client on my notebook and still get
 work done.

 Good luck to the guys/gals who are (hopefully) busy fixing this.

 --
 David C. Snyder, CISSP
 Turner - Digital Media Technologies
 Cell:  404 545 6211            SMS:  4045456211 at txt.att.net