Unhappy Xorg upgrade

Matt Dawson matt at chronos.org.uk
Mon Feb 2 13:01:34 PST 2009

On Monday 02 February 2009 18:33:55 Robert Noland wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 14:57 +0800, Darryl Yeoh wrote:
> > Hi Matt,
> >
> > > Just tried dropping the synaptics driver and option in loader.conf (it
> > > needs hw.psm.synaptics_support in /boot/loader.conf or it gets picked
> > > up as an Intellimouse) and it works as a standard mouse. The keyboard
> > > is still fine with no spurious events. The synaptics driver opens up a
> > > lot of features on the trackpad (right hand side becomes a scroll
> > > "wheel", the bottom edge becomes a horizontal scroll, it picks up
> > > multi-taps and you can tweak much of  it in xorg.conf) but I don't
> > > think this is the cause of your issue.
> >
> > Did you manage to fully test out the synaptics driver ? I've had horrible
> > experience with it. If you allow hald to manage input devices
> > (mouse/keyboard) on your laptop, the touchpad barely works. (no
> > scrolling, no tapping, slow acceleration). I've had to run Xorg without
> > hald managing those devices. Even configuring
> > /usr/local/etc/hal/fdi/policy/x11-synaptics.fdi doesn't seem to do much.
>
> If you want to use synaptics, the instructions in the port are still
> correct I think.  Everything that I have right now is GlidePoint, but...
> Essentially, you want to disable moused_enable="NO" (the default) set
> the loader.conf tuneable and statically configure the touchpad in
> xorg.conf to use /dev/psm0 and driver "synaptics" .  This wil not be
> ignored by X, as it only ignores devices using kbd,mouse, or vmmouse
> drivers.
>
> Additional mice can be added either via config or hald depending on your
> settings for AllowEmptyInput and/or AutoAddDevices.

Exactly my setup and it works fine. It's rather pointless having moused
running on this machine anyway since the console never restores on VT switch
and remains pure white until reboot. $DEITY knows why, but I can live with it
(this is pre-7.4 behaviour as well, so it's not a regression. In fact, this
machine has always done this, and no amount of switching VTYs or closing and
opening the lid makes any difference).

Sorry about taking my time to reply, Darryl, but I was up to my armpits in
i386->amd64 upgrade on the mail server today and I still can't get Munin to
play nicely ;o)

Best regards,
--
Matt Dawson