Xorg crashes and reboots my computer

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Wed Dec 30 21:08:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-30 at 15:48 -0500, François Leclerc wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> I have attached to this message the result of running "pciconf -lvb".
>
> I have a question regarding the version of Xorg that must be
> installed. Which is the best? The one installed using "portinstall -P
> xorg" or the one installed using "pkg_add -r xorg"? The question might
> look strange but the two commands install a different version. One
> suggests the radeon driver when running "Xorg -configure" and the
> other radeonhd. Note that I tried both versions of Xorg (and both with
> radeon and radeonhd) without success. But I'm guessing one is a better
> choice? Which one?

Well, If you ports tree is up to date, then the one from ports will be
the latest available.  Your card doesn't locate the framebuffer where I
thought it might and so I doubt that the patch that I was referring to
will fix the issue.  Based on the above, I can't help but wonder if
something in your ports is out of sync and may be triggering this.  That
said, the kernel still shouldn't panic.  If you can get a backtrace from
the kernel panic, that would be good.

robert.