Compiz Fusion brings all Gnome with itself

Novembre novembre at gmail.com
Sun May 11 19:19:30 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've installed Compiz Fusion on my machine using packages. Installing it
from ports was unsuccessful since it needs gio-fam-backend which in turn
needs glib-2.16.3 to be installed. I don't really want to update my glib
since I don't know if I need to update all my system (or at least those
packages which depend on it) as well or not after updating glib (I just
didn't want to take the risk). Anyhow, installing Compiz Fusion from ports
brought with it all Gnome:

-------------
[me at rsx4 /usr/ports]$ pkg_info | grep -i "gnome"
atk-1.20.0          A GNOME accessibility toolkit (ATK)
eel-2.20.0          Generally useful classes and extensions to GNOME
gconf2-2.20.1       A configuration database system for GNOME
gnome-control-center-2.20.1_1 Control center for GNOME 2 project
gnome-desktop-2.20.1_1 Additional UI API for GNOME 2
gnome-doc-utils-0.12.2 GNOME doc utils
gnome-icon-theme-2.20.0_1 A collection of icons for the GNOME 2 desktop
gnome-keyring-2.20.1 A program that keeps passwords and other secrets
gnome-menus-2.20.1  Implementation of the FreeDesktop Desktop Menu Spec
gnome-mime-data-2.18.0_2 A MIME and Application database for GNOME
gnome-panel-2.20.1  Panel component for the GNOME 2 Desktop
gnome-vfs-2.20.0_2  GNOME Virtual File System
gnome_subr-1.0      Common startup and shutdown subroutines used by GNOME
scrip
gnomehier-2.3_10    A utility port that creates the GNOME directory tree
libbonobo-2.20.1_1  A component and compound document system for GNOME2
libbonoboui-2.20.0  GUI frontend to the libbonobo component of GNOME 2
libglade2-2.6.2     GNOME glade library
libgnome-2.20.1.1_1 Libraries for GNOME, a GNU desktop environment
libgnomecanvas-2.20.1.1 A graphics library for GNOME
libgnomekbd-2.20.0  GNOME keyboard shared library
libgnomeui-2.20.1.1 Libraries for the GNOME GUI, a GNU desktop environment
libxml2-2.6.31      XML parser library for GNOME
libxslt-1.1.22_1    The XSLT C library for GNOME
nautilus-2.20.0     File manager for the GNOME desktop
py25-libxml2-2.6.31 Python interface for XML parser library for GNOME

especially, 'ps -ax' now shows these two processes running:
865  ??  I      0:00.15 /usr/local/libexec/gconfd-2 14
876  ??  I      0:00.03 gnome-pty-helper

How can I stop them from running when I start X? And how can I remove all
these useless Gnome packages that I won't use? Do I need to update
everything that depends on it if I decide to update glib?

Thanks a lot :)