Working fglrx driver on FreeBSD-7

Jacques Fourie jacques.fourie at gmail.com
Thu May 1 16:00:18 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have a HP/Compaq nw8240 notebook that has an ATI Mobility Radeon
X700 chipset. I couldn't find any X11 drivers (except vesa) that works
with this chipset and the previous fglrx-on-freebsd effort does not
have support for the later Xorg versions such as the one found in
FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE. Luckily I managed to get the latest driver for
Linux to work - no 3D acceleration but 2D and Xvideo works fine. I can
now work at 1920x1200 and use mplayer in fullscreen mode so I'm happy.
If anyone is interested let me know and I'll post instructions on how
to accomplish this. It is relatively simple - I had to create a simple
wrapper that allows the FreeBSD Xorg to load the Linux driver with the
help of libmap.conf.

regards,
Jacques