X pausing until mouse move (collecting commonalities)

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at freebsd.org
Thu Mar 27 12:14:25 PDT 2008

Matthew Seaman wrote:
>> I'm trying to get a list of commonalities to better focus my
>> troubleshooting.  So far, my two machines that are affected have the
>> following in common:
>>
>> GNOME 2.22 (with hald)
>> nVidia graphics card (though different drivers)
>> PS/2 mouse
>> dual core
>> ULE scheduler
>>
>> My one machine that is not affected differs from this in that it has
>> an Intel graphics card, USB mouse, and is not dual core (but HTT).
>>
>> It looks like Coleman has a PS/2 mouse as well.  It's starting to look
>> like the mouse technology might have something to do with this.
>> Anyone seeing this problem with a USB mouse?
>
> I've seen this on a Dell D800 laptop --
>   nVidia graphics
>   Pentium-M
>   USB mouse   FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE with ULE scheduler
>
> I'm running xdm and windowmaker -- ports all up to date as of this morning.
> I have managed to get the effect to disappear by the following sequence
> of actions:
>
>   * Apply the patch to sysutils/hal you Joe Marcus Clarke posted
>     else-thread.  This had no discernable effect.

Which patch?  The first one or the second one?  The current one is 19996
bytes.  After applying it, you would need to restart hald, then restart X.

>   * Disable hald in /etc/rc.conf and turn it off.  Again, no obvious
>     effect.
>
>   * Recompile x11-servers/xorg-server and toggle off the HAL support
>     in OPTIONS.

If hal was the problem, disabling hald, then rebooting (or shutting down
hald then restarting X) should have fixed this as well.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome