X pauses until mouse is moved

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Mar 25 14:31:37 PDT 2008

> From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at FreeBSD.org>
> Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 12:07:00 -0400
> Sender: owner-freebsd-x11 at freebsd.org
>
> This problem was originally reported on this list on March 5
> (http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2008-March/006077.html).
> I am now seeing this on my RELENG_7 and -CURRENT boxes.  Basically, all
> interaction with X is temporarily suspended until the mouse is moved.
> This only occurs when using /dev/sysmouse (thus when moused is enabled).
> If I disabled moused, and use /dev/psm0 directly, the problem goes away.
>
> My i386 RELENG_7 machine was working fine until I updated to:
>
> FreeBSD shumai.marcuscom.com 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #17: Mon Mar
> 24 15:32:39 EDT 2008
> marcus at shumai.marcuscom.com:/build/obj/build/src/sys/SHUMAI  i386
>
> Prior to that I was running FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #16: Sat Mar  8 20:07:36
> EST 2008.
>
> Also prior to that I had the xorg-server update that was supposed to fix
> jerky mouse movement.  That didn't seem to trigger this problem.  I
> thought it might have been related to the recent moused fix in RELENG_7,
> so I backed out the moused.c changes, but the problem persists.  I also
> backed out the recent X mouse driver VT switch fix, but the problem
> persists.
>
> At least two other users have described similar problems.  Any
> suggestions on what may be causing this?  The only difference I spot in
> dmesg relates to CPU clock speed (off by 1/100 of a MHz).  The working
> version of FreeBSD had:
>
> CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU            5140  @ 2.33GHz (2327.52-MHz
> 686-class CPU)
>
> The current version has:
>
> CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU            5140  @ 2.33GHz (2327.51-MHz
> 686-class CPU)
>
> A full (current) dmesg can be found at
> http://www.marcuscom.com/downloads/dmesg.shumai .

I am seeing about the same thing here. My system is running:
FreeBSD slan.es.net 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #2: Mon Mar 17 21:39:01 PDT 2008     root at slan.es.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/IBM-T43  i386

What is possibly notable is that I only started seeing this problem
yesterday, right after upgrading to Gnome 2.22. It looks like the Gnome
upgrade triggered something, possibly an interaction with the moused,
sysmouse, or xf86-input-mouse.

The system is a T43 using the internal keyboard and TrackPoint(tm).

The Gnome upgrade was pretty smooth with everything building, but
portupgrade complaining about some dependency loops. (I'll report about
this to the Gnome list.)

This is more than a bit annoying. It also impacts menus and scroll
bars. I plan to drop back to my backup from before the Gnome upgrade.

I can make config, xorg.conf, and dmesg available, but I can't see
anything odd there.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)