'intel' graphics slow on 945G

Novembre novembre at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 03:04:02 UTC 2008

Hi,

There is a tutorial on how to run Compiz Fusion on FreeBSD here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/compiz-fusion/index.html,
but as far as I understood, it is mainly written with nVidia cards in
mind. I have an Intel 965G card, and I had to make some changes to make
Compiz Fusion work. First of all, I use the intel driver (not the older
i810) and XAA (not the default EXA) as the acceleration method, since EXA
results in poor performance especially in Firefox. In my xorg.conf, I have
the following lines:

Option   "AIGLX"   "true"
in ServerLayout section,

Option    "AccelMethod"                         "XAA"
Option    "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"     "true"
Option    "AddARGBGLXVisuals"           "true"
Option    "DRI"                                       "true"
in Device section,

and at the end of the file, these:
Section "DRI"
      Mode    0666
EndSection
Section "Extensions"
      Option    "Composite"    "enable"
EndSection

Then, I before I start Compiz, I run the following commands:
LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1; export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT
INTEL_BATCH=1; export INTEL_BATCH

And I run Compiz with:
$ compiz --replace --indirect-rendering --sm-disable ccp &
$ emerald --replace &

Then it runs fine (although I have my own share of problems when I close X).
My glxgears benchmark is around 1150fps. Here is the Compiz Fusion wiki page
for Intel hardware: http://wiki.compiz-fusion.org/Intel%20with%20AiGLX

Good luck