updating drm

Coleman Kane cokane at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jun 5 18:19:49 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 01:01 +0400, Marat N.Afanasyev wrote:
> Coleman Kane пишет:
> > On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 19:54 +0400, Marat N.Afanasyev wrote:
> >> Hello!
> >>
> >> I wonder is there any plans to update drm in either CURRENT or STABLE
> >> from MESA tree?
> >>

> > I believe so, but only after the stuff in the MESA tree is stable. From
> > what I can tell, there is still work going into developing it more
> > (integrating VBLANK and other changes). There will probably be a merge
> > once the BSD part of the tree is stable again.
> >
> > I've also got at least one outstanding bug report open that needs either
> > fixing in drm/bsd-core or in xf86-video-ati.
> >

> I think that without importing drm onto, at least, CURRENT, there will
> be a few chances to receive bug-reports to be worked with ;)

The bug report above is one that I've submitted, and we're currently
working on resolving it.

At least two combined changes happened at the same time to the BSD drm
code (vblank-rework as well as r5xx/r6xx support). I've been trying to
get the latter one working, but in the process I think I might have
gotten bit by the former. The drm code has almost always been
continually developed in the mesa/drm git tree at freedesktop.org, with
snapshots being merged into the FreeBSD tree as new features and changes
settle.

I am confident that when more of these outstanding issues are resolved,
the resulting code will get merged. A likely result of just merging
everything now might be a sudden breakage of DRI for numerous R1xx,
R2xx, R3xx, and R4xx users who already have good, working DRI support.
It would be better if the deluge of PR's was limited to the users of
R5xx and above cards, who right now don't have DRI support. I am also
confident that this will happen real-soon-now.

That said, anybody can see/get the current development trees by
visiting:
      * http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=mesa/drm.git;a=summary

--
Coleman Kane