ports/119091: x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel 2.1.1 panics system

Martin Birgmeier martin at email.aon.at
Wed Jun 4 16:50:03 UTC 2008

The following reply was made to PR ports/119091; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Martin Birgmeier <martin at email.aon.at>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: ports/119091: x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel 2.1.1 panics system
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 18:20:40 +0200 (CEST)

 Until a few days ago I was nearly convinced that the driver is working now...

 FreeBSD atpcdvvc.xyzzy 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Thu May 22 17:20:59 CEST 2008     root at atpcdvvc.xyzzy:/usr/VOL/OBJ/FreeBSD/RELENG_7_0_0_RELEASE/src/sys/XYZZY_SMP_NA  i386

 xf86-video-intel-2.2.1, built on April 5

 ports mostly up to date

 However, at that date, I started doing heavy-duty file moving using
 the KDE file manager konqueror for the first time (I was mostly
 using the command line before that). Dragging icons from time to
 time leads to panics again - actually not panics, but simply instant
 reboots. Since then, I am back to the command line.

 Just from the looks I'd guess that the cause must be within bitblt
 routines, but I am not familiar with modern X software.

 Warning: this might be a new defect, as the system is now running
 on an S6410 laptop. If you want you may close this defect (I cannot
 reproduce it on the original HW any more), and I'll open a new one.

 So, summarizing the feedback: Something is still badly broken.