State of video-ati nowadays?

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Sun Jul 27 02:08:54 UTC 2008

Hi,

After a long time, I tried booting X on a machine with Radeon X1600.
With the "vesa" driver it works fine, though slow in the usual
operations (compositing, transparency). I upgraded the ati driver to the
latest (6.9) and, while it managed to start, it was extraordinary slow
(much slower than vesa) and had a funny bug in Xfce Terminal, where the
"black" color of characters in the terminal would become transparent,
showing pixels underneath the window.

Is this normal (i.e. the driver still doesn't support the card) or am I
doing something wrong? The xorg.conf is plain and boring, without any
special tuning, the dri and radeon kernel modules are loaded. This is on
8-CURRENT.